The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is Africa’s first network of centres of excellence in mathematical sciences.
Modelling Believes and Learning in Cooperative Games PhD-Scholarship
Objectives : DAAD, as a publicly funded, self-governing organisation of the institutions of higher education in Germany, promotes international academic exchange as well as educational co-operation with developing countries through a variety of funding and scholarship programmes.
AIMS Senegal, the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) in Senegal, as a self-governing non-profit trust, which is supported by several universities in the world, offers Master and Research Programmes to talented students from the African continent.
Together DAAD and AIMS Senegal are offering a PhD program conducted in AIMS Senegal and the Leibniz Center for Tropical Marine Ecology (ZMT) in Germany.
The “Validating Human Behaviour with Experimental Data” project is conducted in close collaboration with the Systems Ecology group and supported by the Institutional and Behavioural Economics group, which are both part of the Leibniz Center for Tropical Marine Ecology (ZMT) in Germany. Research stays at ZMT of several months duration are anticipated.
The successful candidate will support in conducting a series of innovative economic experiments run as a smartphone application. The experimental data will be thoroughly analysed statistically to understand the drivers and the learning process behind human harvest decisions. Using the insights gathered in these experiments, the candidate will develop a differential equation model describing the dynamic behaviour of humans exploiting a renewable resource.
Eligible Applicants :
- Must have excellent academic records
- Must be national of an African country
- Must hold a Master’s degree in Mathematics
- Must have a strong background in Statistics
- Must have a strong background in Differential Equations
- Must have an interest in applied mathematics and human behaviour
- Must be willing to participate in field experiments
- Must be willing to stay at the ZMT in Germany for several months.
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups will be especially encouraged to participate in the Programme.
Eligible Fields : Mathematics and its applications
Place of Tenure : African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) Senegal, Km2 Route Joal-Institut de Recherche en Développement de Mbour, BP: 1418 Mbour Sénégal. The PhD should be completed in cooperation with a Senegalese university.
Duration and Deadline :
The duration of the PhD programme is 36 months, starting in January 2015.. The Deadline for applications is November 15th.
We Offer :
- A competitive bursary.
- Integration in a rich and dynamic research and teaching environment within the Senegalese doctoral schools, the AIMS’ research centers, and the Leibniz Center for Tropical Marine Ecology (ZMT), Germany.
- Extensive research stays at the ZMT for up to 6 months per year.
- Grants for international conferences; workshops and short visits to other universities.
To apply, send an email with cover letter and CV to email@example.com before November 15th.