The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences – Research (AIMS Research) is pleased to invite prospective postdoctoral fellows who hold a PhD degree in any mathematical science discipline to apply for one of fifteen postdoctoral fellowships available through the AIMS Postdoctoral Research Fellows Program in Climate Change Science. This is in response to an urgent need to increase the number of high-end researchers who, with limited supervision, can conduct cutting-edge mathematical science research in Africa.
AIMS postdoctoral research fellows in climate science will each benefit from financial support of up to CAD 32,000 per annum for a maximum duration of two years, extendable subject to approval. They will be based at one of the seven existing AIMS Research Centres, including Quantum Leap Africa. Beneficiaries may be affiliated to any recognized institution of higher learning located in the same country as the host AIMS Research Centre. Funding will be provided for fellows and their supervisors to attend one research school that will take place in AIMS Rwanda.
- Applicant can be from any country
- Applicants must hold at least a PhD (or a recognized equivalent) in any field related to mathematical sciences before the start date of this position
- Applicants should be interested in undertaking research within climate change sciences and its related areas.
- Knowledge/interest in mathematical modeling would be an advantage.
- Applicants must be open-minded, and must be willing to conduct research at their preferred AIMS Research Centre, or a designated partner institution (e.g industry).
This is a two year extendable research position with a maximum total cost to AIMS of CAD 32,000 per annum. The cost includes a return flight ticket from the candidates home/institution to the AIMS Research Centre, tuition (if applicable), Visa application, accommodation, living support, and health insurance.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted using the online applicaiton form, and should. contain the following supporting documents:
- a completed personal details form
- a completed research proposal form
- a letter of motivation which outlines why you should be offered this position
- most recent transcripts and attestation, and your current CV
Your supporting documents should be ready for submission before you complete the online application form. Supporting documents should be saved as PDFS in the format “name of the researchprogram_type of_document_AIMSentity/centre_monthyear_applicant’s name-surname”. For instance, the personal details form should be saved as
Two academic referees from tertiary institutions should email confidential letters of support on your behalf to email@example.com using the subject line: AIMSPostdoc_supportletter_AIMSentity/centre_month/year_applicant’sname-surname
It is your responsibility to ensure that these letters of support are sent and received. Ensure to also download and send the ‘Instructions for Referee’ document and the above email address to your respective referees.
The call for applications will remain open until the required number of Fellows are recruited. Only complete applications with required documents will be considered.
Selection and Award
Applications shall be vetted by a committee consisting of expert researchers from AIMS, at least one external expert, and a representative from the AIMS Global Secretariat. Successful candidates will be contacted and will be expected to commence their research at the AIMS Research Centre within three months of receiving an award letter.
For further information send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org